22 Dec 2014

Modern warfare project update

Hello,

I took a short break from hobby lately and I haven't done much that I could show. I am very slowly converting the rest of my Slovenes, while deciding on what kind of scenario I should play next time. I didn't want to let the blog die completely and showing some work in progress also motivates me further, as I realise how much I have really done.

While I did some work on other projects, my focus is still with the moderns. I still have 12 miniatures to convert and/or paint to finish the Slovenes. Once I am done with this I will probably purchase some more packs in future (namely Special Forces, Anti-Tank/Sniper pack and, naturally, a .50 cal pack!).

As of the latest reorganisation, Slovene squad has 9 members. A squad leader and two teams of four. From those eight, two have grenade launchers, two have SAWs, one has a better scope and three are ordinary riflemen, from which at least one would generally carry a disposable AT launcher. Obviously, depending on the need they could carry more or less than that.

For wargaming purposes, I am after two squads of two teams, one team with an AT launcher and one with a scope. I've finished the latter already and below are WIPs of the former:

The one below is actually finished (built from a "patrol pack"),  and all it needs is a launcher. This sounds easier that in is and I think I am at my 5th+ try now. My expectations have dropped immensely since and I'm just trying to make it look sort of symmetrical now.
 A rifleman with what I hope to look like RGW-90 below. I do like the position of his rifle.
 And the real deal here. The launcher has two modes, if the pointy thing is sticking out it's penetration gets improved and it can be used against armoured vehicles (or really well fortified bunkers) and if the stick is retracted, it's more suitable for making holes in the wall, hitting buildings and so on. This weapon belongs to the same family as infamous Armbrust, a weapon associated with Slovenian war of Independence, that proven much less effective than people hoped it would be.

My fourth team is a conglomerate of several packs, as Empress only produces three teams as such. From left to right there is a miniature from the command pack (will be used as a grenadier), one from EOD pack and two from support weapons pack. One had an AT-4 that I am converting into a RGW-90 and the other one actually had a sniper, but I decided to use it as a SAW gunner instead.
 Two riflemen:
 AT gunner. Note his right hand was chopped off. It was in the same position as that of a gunner on a pic below, so I chopped it off and repositioned it into a proper firing position. I am really fond of this miniature and while it's hard to work on the weapon attached to a body, I hope it will come out nice enough.

Lastly, there is a command pack I barely started working on. From left to right we got a combat medic, a radioman (will be converted into something special!), a guy from an EOD pack (I swapped it for the one used above as it looks more "leader-y" and a leader. The latter two will be used as squad leaders. This means my guys are lacking a platoon commander, but I can always swap some miniatures around, of course.
 Medic and a radioman have their weapons touching their bodies and are a huge pain to clean up, I am still recovering from the radioman, before I will move on to medic.

Lastly, I put together this...something. It started as a bunker/trench/something as I was just reading on WW1 again and had to do something about it. I will use it as a heavy cover for a support weapon of some sort. 
 Unfortunately, as this zombie-converted-to-paramedic proves, two miniatures can't stand in it next to each other. I have no idea what I was thinking when planning, but I did measure the inner space!

This is all for today,  I'll try to post next week, but it will probably be a "less gaming related" post.

Thanks for looking,
Mathyoo

18 comments:

  1. Brill conversion work mate. They are coming along nicely.

    Srecen Bozic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon! And a nice try, but we write božič with small letters :P.

      Delete
  2. Great to see you converting again dude! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see you plodding along and keeping up with your conversions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be a shame to leave them half-done as I've been working on and off this project for well over a year now!

      Delete
  4. Don't sweat it, I am horrible at keeping my blog up to date.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting how much it helps with motivations, though, you should try posting more often :)

      Delete
  5. Keep 'em coming, Mathyoo. It's good to know you're still working on your hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to see you are back and nice converison.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking good pal. Weird I've just got a copy of some modern rules and am thinking of doing a bit of that. Have a great Christmas and New Year mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob, right back at you!
      Which rules are those? I like the period, not putting the politics in, it's almost like a mild sci-fi!

      Delete
  8. Great conversion work mate- given that a head swap is my limit you've got some great skills.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, by now it's all just like the head swaps, except I have to redo the hands :P

      Delete
  9. Terrific stuff here. The AT Launcher looks brilliant. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Clint, I'm already a step forward by now! :)

      Delete