11 Apr 2015

JTAC

 Hello guys,

It took me a bit longer than it should, but I finally have a JTAC prepared. Joint terminal attack controller, simply put, is a guy that calls in air strikes. All the communication between him and the pilot is always in English, no matter the nationality of either or both of them.


They receive a lot of attention here lately as SAF is trying to establish a regional training centre for JTAC in Slovenia. This is interesting, I suppose, as we don't have an Air Force as such, but just an "Air component" within the Army...and even those units are armed with Pilatus PC-9M Hudournik ("Swift", the bird) airplanes.
 While they look like something that might have taken part in the Battle for Britain, Pilatus planes are apparently one of the best training aircraft you can get. Slovenia bought them early after the independence to train its future fighter pilots on them and when it was realised that jets are costly, they were simply armed. While they are used as such on practices for media, these planes can obviously not intercept an airbus and our skies are currently protected by Hungarian or Italian jets. Needless to say, there's plenty jokes going around about how we don't need jets as they "can't make a U turn without leaving the airspace".

To make me feel better,  I have to let everyone know that a "guns only" dogfight between a Slovene in Pilatus and American in F-16 took place few years back which the former won with 2:0. So if nothing else, these planes are good enough to keep the know-how and pilots trained. On the other case, taking the tanks out of operational use is making us lose the tankers and their experience.

So, from a gaming point of view, JTAC is a guy with a radio and I converted him from one. He can be used as a basic radioman, JTAC, Artillery observer etc.

 I was quite gutted to find out I have misplaced the original antennae. It was really nicely done and I KNOW I put it somewhere to make sure it wouldn't get lost. So, I replaced it with a piece of solid wire. It's not as nice but at least it won't break easily.
I also scraped off his M4 and, as his main job is to direct airplanes and not fire his rifle, put an F2000 on his backpack, while giving him binoculars. My first idea was to let him have a touch screen computer with a map on it, but working on that would be a bit complicated and had to satisfy myself with a locally produced binoculars with a laser pointer.
To make him stand out at least a bit, his vest was painted in khaki. I wish his helmet was not covered with a cloth, but as that would include way too much work, I just went with it as it is.

I hope to use him in larger games to call in some airstrikes and I am now trying to find a nice 1:144 aircraft or even a helicopter. I am sure the International forces on Evergreen Island have an Apache or two laying around!

Thanks for looking,
Mathyoo

13 comments:

  1. You have done a very good job on him. An excellently conversion and your works seem to be improving each time.

    I can see that a smaller scale for air vehicles might work to represent a higher altitude I am just not sure they are needed at all though as only the effects of the air strike will matter in the game.

    Nice work though mate and I am looking forward to your next one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      This is exactly why I would want smaller models and I agree, planes are very low on the need-list.

      I would only need a helicopter borne LMG or sniper or an apache or something presented hoovering around the battlefield.

      Any transport helicopter that would land would have to be 1:50ish scale, but those are expensive and not worth buying just so that they land, take way too much space on my small table and take off again!

      Delete
  2. He is an excellent conversion, Mathyoo. Helicopter models are an expensive luxury and if you're stuck for space and money not really necessary at all... even if they do look cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I agree - they would look really good on the table, but I'd need to find a cheap one to justify it.

      Delete
  3. Very cool - nice background on the troop type too. I suppose the US equivalent could be CCT (Combat Control Team).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The US also has and uses JTAC's. Pretty much do the same thing.

      Delete
    2. I have to admit I am lost on the differences between the two - it could be one is from the Army and other one from Air Force!

      Delete
  4. Great work on the figure. I found in my moderns games that he is just the figure needed when the proverbial hits the fan.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pete! I hope I'll get to play a game soon now, to see what he can do :P

      Delete
  5. Good work dude. The way I look at it, the JTAC can always help call in other NATO nations CAS, laz targets and help call in medical.
    If I had to do my time in the military over, I really would have liked to have been a JTAC.
    And I its kind of a embarrassment of the USAF. We have the best equipment around but seem to loss in a lot of "gun fights". At least in training that is.
    I live in Las Vegas, NV, and we have Red Flag out here every year. Its pretty cool to watch all the different jets flying over the city. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Flag_exercise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Moody, and thanks for the input!

      I don't think it's THAT embarrassing, I am pretty sure US fighter pilots can fly a rocket at a plane outside the visual range - gone are the times of WW2 dogfights!

      Delete
  6. The camo is spot on nice work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had a lot of practice by now! :D

      Delete