3 May 2015

Technicals - part 1

Hello guys,

Before I start, I have to apologise yet again for the lack of activity and for missing so many of your blog posts. I am working on something else at the moment and the days often pass so fast I completely forget about the hobby. I will try to do better in the following week and check on some of the things I've missed!


When I was in London in March I scored a good day in Poundland and bought three police pickups for a pound!

They are horrible, but at 33,334 pence a piece, they will be just fine. I was desperate for some to give my insurgents much needed vehicle support.
I have no plan as to how I want them to look (except one MIGHT be up armoured and both would probably have machine guns), so I will see how they turn out as they go. I do not want them armed with an AA guns as my games are all up close and personal and those mounts would need some kind of minimum range as the gun is mean to be firing in the skies.

First thing I needed done was clear the stickers and it was a real pain. I tried all sorts of things and glue residue wouldn't come off. In the end, I covered it in dirt and then used an eraser to help me clean it - that worked really well.

As they come without windows and I didn't want to go through the trouble of converting and painting drivers, I decided to make glass. It was a pretty easy work, measured by the eyes. I glued plasticard on with superglue and then I sealed it with an old greenstuff that I can't use for my miniatures anymore.


Don't hold your breath for the next step (I've built those 2 weeks ago and still nothing was added!), but in the mean time, feel free to suggest the weaponry. I was thinking giving them two machine guns of some sorts (One medium as I have a model and one heavy that I could sculpt), to make them even with my Hummvees, but some sort of cannon would also look good on them!

Thanks for looking,
Mathyoo

17 comments:

  1. I think that's going to look rather good once painted, especially with a couple of machineguns (my fave technical weapon). I always like the idea of glass and from the photos you've done a top job with your plasticard. I look forward to seeing the next stage, as and when real life doesn't interfere too much :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blaxkleric! I didn't like the open windows as I would need to put a driver in to make sense and in the end, it's easier to just put some plasticard in.

      A week later, however, I made no progress :(

      Delete
  2. Looking good, Mathyoo, and it is also good to have you back blogging again. You should definitely add machine guns. You can't go wrong with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan! That was my first thought, too!

      Delete
  3. Nice job Mathyoo!
    I would have been tempted just to dirty up the original, no good though if you don't want police vehicles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh...but where is the fun in that? :)

      Delete
  4. They'll look great no doubt when you get around to finishing them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most interesting! I'm looking forward to seeing your next steps on this model.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea for a use for the trucks. Machine guns should do the trick for weaponry, that seems pretty popular from the internet searches I have seen... It really depends on what you have on hand and want to use! Can't wait to see them finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They would certainly be the most numerous, but then again, something heavier would come in handy for some scenarios - I will see if I can make them interchangeable perhaps.

      Delete
  7. Great find, I think MGs work just fine. For other weapons a recoil less rifle or maybe even a mortar might work for scenario where your grunts are trying to find the POO of the guys dropping explosives on the FOB, embassy, Refuge camp airbase etc...
    I have even seen some trucks with aircraft rocket pods strapped to the back.
    Or just keep on bare for troop transport.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, great ideas! I do like the mortar especially, I've seen photos of them being put on trucks in Croatia (bed was filled with sand to make sure the truck didn't fall apart when the weapon fired!

      Looks like I will need the third pickup converted, as well!

      Delete
    2. If you can stomach it, check out photos of some the technicals they have been using in Libya. Lot of Interesting ideas.

      Delete
  8. A rather nice find and as you point out they may start out looking nasty but I have a huge amount of confidence that when shown next they will look rather good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clint, but you probably put too much confidence in me, he he!

      Delete