5 Mar 2016

Meet Kresnik!

Hello guys,

Almost 2 years ago - I checked the blog history - I started converting Horrorclix's Fiend (Frankenstein monster) into a Kersnik, a local Slavic pagan (demi)god. .

To refresh your memory, influenced by SAGA and 7th Voyage that were both really popular back then, I decided to start a project, where wandering pagan party - consisting of nothing but heroes, of course - would fight the creatures of the lore with the intention of saving a damsel in distress or performing a similarly important deed. Equally, the mythos creatures could be used in games of Strange Aeons and would give me something to sculpt and convert. Evidently, the project didn't live long, but as I am clearing my old stuff, I decided to restart it.

Kresnik is the most common god (or semi-god) in Slovenian mythology, so he was an obvious choice for my god on earth. It appears to be a very localised deity, only known in Slovenia and parts of Croatia.
Mythos wise, he is a rather complicated character and it is believed that Kresnik is either Perun himself (kind of a Slavic Thor); that his brother, named Trot is Perun; that Kresnik is Perun's son.

As omnipotent gods would not be any kind of fun to game with, I decided to go with the semi-god option. Thus, Kresnik is a "Hercules" type of character, a son of Perun and mortal. As the luck would have it, it is believed that Kresnik did the 12 deeds, too!
According to the legend, the Son of lightning Kresnik was carried by his mother for whole nine years.  He was close to the people and in some versions, every village had a Kresnik of their own, protecting them from foul creatures and being that would want to hurt them or humanity. Those include, but are not limited to: Veles (Perun's arch nemesis), dragons, giant snakes, giant snake queens, false Kresniks (these are the worst!), vampires, cynocephali, centaurs etc etc.
Kresnik is not immortal and can die, but always returns to the world.


He has the arms and hair of gold and carries an axe, mace, lightning bolt or a knife. 

At first I had high plans of sculpting my own, but I've decided to simply convert Horrorclix's The fiend instead. I got him a veeeeery long time ago from Vampifan - THANKS AGAIN!

The fiend is taller than ordinary human being, being almost 50mm tall, so he was perfect candidate for a god on Earth. I've cut him off his base and cleaned him up a bit. I've cut off the shackles, cleaned up the nails in his spine and made some other surgical tasks, before giving him a nice shirt, girly long hair and a manly beard.

Below is an eons old photo of him, before he was equipped with the second axe as well. If I am not mistaken, his hair were slightly retouched, as was his shirt, but no major work was done.

Then I left him in my drawer, forgotten until last week. To paint him, I went with a simple linen shirt that is these days associated with the pagan Slavs. Those are very popular in Russia and Ukraine, which is where Slovene "neo pagans" imported them from. I do not recall reading about them being worn here. I would presume 6th century Alpine Slavs would wear woolen clothes, but the combination of white and red was too good too pass.

 I armed him with two axes and gave NMM Gold a try. It didn't succeed and now he looks like a member of the Simpsons family.
 The painting was straightforward and I dropped all the ideas of energy flow shown passing through his eyes and/or axes. Now, he could also be used as a generic giant. He is mounted on a 40mm base and is shown with a flabbergasted explorer down below:


There is little to add, I have to paint a group of the most evil creatures imaginable and then I will get back to finishing sculpting other projects.

Thanks for looking,
Mathyoo

16 comments:

  1. I love his background. What an interesting character. I'm so glad that you've finally got round to finishing painting him. You must be pleased, too. I hope we see more fantasy figures appearing on your blog soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering why I haven't approached him earlier!
      I got myself busy again with other things these days, but I am working on some more fantasy figures, all of them old projects.

      Delete
  2. That is one big figure.
    As I know nothing at all about the myths and legends I found it very interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I only know this much from two books I've read on the deities and monsters!

      Delete
  3. Really cool- nice that you have a local demi god figure for your campaigns. Could slip him into all sorts of places

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah the idea is it could also be used as a generic giant or maybe a Norse god of some sorts if necessary.

      Delete
  4. What a beast of a model and cool background. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great mythic figure Mathyoo! Cool sculpting too dude. Interesting background. Now we just need to see him slaying monsters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob! Monsters are on the way, I've even started working on a very, very dusty dragon-to-be lump of clay now!

      Delete
  6. Wow, is he big or what?
    So another couple of years and we'll see even more progress in this ?
    seriously though, it's good to see you painting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, he's big. What chance does a regular man have against that!

    Note that I haven't given up on 7th Voyage or SAGA! I'm still collecting for both games and trying to figure out how to get more playing time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't have scrawny sons of the gods, what'd that say about them?

      Sounds great, I am looking forward to see more of your work! :)

      Delete
  8. Excellent work dude he turn out great both as a conversion and the paint job :) Well done!

    ReplyDelete